Joy of Service
Often our lives feel so busy that finding the time to volunteer seems impossible but every week at South Church there are low-commitment opportunities to get involved! We are involved in a variety of activities. Some are ongoing, some are one time events, some are great for kids, others require the use of power tools. Our Board of World Service faithfully contributes to 12 core missions, many of which are also supported regularly by members of both our Board and our congregation, who volunteer their time, serve on organizational boards and personally donate to the programs.
Home-Repair Projects at Lazarus House
- Truck, minivan, and labor needed to move about 20 bins full of winter clothing (semi-heavy) between Lazarus House sites. Can be done at a mutually convenient day/time in September.
- One to two handy people to re-glue vinyl baseboard molding that was repaired and install a vinyl protection barrier on the painted wall to avoid splash-ups and damage at the shelter location. (Material reimbursement provided) Timeframe: Needs to be done before the end of September.
- Volunteer or two to remove old mini-blinds in the shelter kitchen and eating area, measure, purchase and install new blinds. (all material costs will be reimbursed by Lazarus House). Timeframe: by the end of September.
Help with our Raise the Roof Live Stream Telethon!
- participate in live and pre-recorded content (testimonials, music, games)
- answer pledge calls during the event
- assist with technical and administrative tasks
If you can help, please email the Telethon Team (Kathleen Curry, Alyson Shaw and Wayne Shaw) at email@example.com.
Help at the Andover Farmers Market
To ensure that our Farmers Market is safe for everyone during the pandemic, we need volunteers to help with things like monitoring the entrance & exit, giving out hand sanitizer, reminding people to keep their mask on and just checking in with vendors and shoppers. It’s a nice chance to connect with others in a safe environment. Details and sign up here. Learn more about the Farmers Market. Details and sign up here. Learn more about the Farmer’s Market.
Plant, weed, water, & harvest
Volunteers are needed in the GIVING GARDEN. Come learn about growing organic produce while helping to feed our hungry neighbors. No gardening experience required. Details and sign up here.
Build affordable housing in Andover
First Saturday of the month 8:30am We invite you get hands-on building at the HABITAT FOR HUMANITY site in Andover. Habitat is welcoming back small groups of 6 volunteers. Safety protocols are in place including distancing, hand washing, masks, tool cleaning, and fever checks. Volunteers 16 and up are welcome. Volunteers under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Would you like to help build? Email Ellen Arvidson. Want to hear more about the last few months, details looking forward, and an update from the Executive Director of ACT? Click here.
Cook meals for church members in need
Help teach our youth
Assist our Sunday School teachers. Email Jennifer Murray if interested or have questions.
In the parable of the good Samaritan, Jesus teaches us that our neighbors may be different from us, they may not be who we expect. If we are to truly love our neighbors, we must serve them and lift their burden. We welcome you to use your skills and talents to serve others and our greater community.
Interested in our other missions? Contact Linda, Church Administrator